NCAT’s Vision for the Addiction Treatment Sector
- High quality treatment that is responsive to the needs of consumers, their whanau/ families, and the wider community.
- Services capable of assessing and treating co-existing addiction and mental health problems; a skilled workforce providing complementary assessments and integrated interventions.
- A broader range of services to provide treatment for alcohol, other drug and/or gambling problems and increased flexibility in combining treatment options.
- Improved access to treatment i.e. capacity to provide treatment for at least 1% of New Zealanders most severely affected by addiction.
- Readily available culturally responsive services in a range of settings.
- An addiction treatment sector that supports recovery and wellness incorporating both harm reduction and abstinence approaches.
- Strong consumer leadership in treatment planning, delivery and evaluation; a strong consumer workforce with peer support services available in every district health board (DHB) area in New Zealand.